Sunday, March 30, 2008

I’m faithin’ it.

I should probably start with a confession: Some of the following material is stolen. I stole some of it from a sermon I heard this morning. Other parts probably infringe upon registered trademarks of the McDonald’s Corporation. But since I’m happy to put in yet another shameless plug for McDonald’s, maybe they’ll hold off on giving me a call from their lawyer.

The sermon was about faith. The Scripture reading was from Luke 24. The basic gist of the sermon was that, by going through life without believing in the power of Christ’s Resurrection, we end up being comfortably numb.

(Sermons score big points from me when they reference popular music – doesn’t matter which era the music comes from.)

The part of the sermon I want to regurgitate is that the English language doesn’t really have a verb for “faith”. George Michael said, “I’ve gotta have faith,” although he was probably referring to topics that didn’t surface on Sunday morning. Jesus said that, with faith, we could tell mountains to go jump in a lake (see Matthew 21:21).

No one uses faith as a verb, though, in the English language. It’s always having faith or doing something with faith. So in honor of an international fast food chain’s international slogan (I’ve visited them in eighteen countries and totally loved it), I’m faithin’ it.

I’ve verbified faith. Feel free to work it into a sentence of your own. Don’t take it on faith. Just faith it.

(Wait. That sounded more like a shoe company. I’m going to be getting a lot of phone calls.)

4 comments:

Jed Carosaari said...

You're verbalizing faith.

Yes we can.

When you wrote this, did you know about the new popular (and rather well made) TV show about a reluctant prophet who is seeing visions from God. The common theme is George Michael's songs, and the highlighted song from the premiere was, "I Gotta Have Faith".

Jeanine said...

I looked up some past McD's slogans and thought I would try out your new verb here are some interesting swaps:

1975 — We Faith It All for You

2000 — We Love To See You FAITH


(to check out more slogans go to: http://www.wordlab.com/2005/09/you-deserve-break-today.cfm) Sorry, I was too lazy to figure out how to make it a pretty link...

drh said...

verbify = to make a word a verb

Sorry, I had no prior empirical evidence at my disposal about the television series you mentioned. Also, George Michael’s songs were not referenced in the aforementioned sermon.

You faith a break today. (Not sure of the year on that one.)

Live In Contrast said...

I believe that if McDonalds has the corner on Faithing It, then Burger King must be the postmodern version- "Faith it Your Way."