Monday, November 05, 2007

Hobbling Around Town

Down the Street from Starbucks“Is there a Starbucks in the Acropolis?” Okay, okay. Maybe those weren’t Doug’s exact words, but I’m quite sure that he asked the lady selling tickets at the entrance whether or not he’d be able to purchase a hot cup of Joe once he reached the top. Eventually we walked to a Starbucks, but not in the Acropolis.

Doug Pets Stray Dog


With the two of us hobbling around after our run – Doug barely able to navigate stairs – we dedicated this day to climbing some of the city’s most prominent high points. Sometimes Doug told me to deal with the stairs, and he stayed back and petted stray dogs. Doug whined a lot today.

Construction at Parthenon
Once inside the Acropolis, I was a bit disenchanted by the numerous cranes and scaffolds surrounding the Parthenon. Whereas all of the guide books advertised the Parthenon as a significant relic from antiquity, I learned today that it is still under construction. Bah!

Doug, Panathinako Stadium, DRH


Atop the Acropolis, Doug and I had a view of the marble stadium where we finished our run. And we got a picture.

I learned something the hard way today. If you hope to locate “Mars Hill”, which King James refers to in The Acts of the Apostles, Chapter 17, you will likely have more success with its Greek name: “Areopagus”. The men of Athens know nothing about “Mars Hill”.

McEighteenth CountryI went to McDonald’s and ordered a “McFarm” sandwich. This new sandwich includes two pork patties that taste like sausage. I have now eaten at McDonald’s in eighteen countries.

Pretty Athens Colors




My brother took a picture of fall colors recently. Today I saw colorful blossoms and foliage at a quiet corner near some cafés. I thought the scene was pretty, so I took a picture.

Doug backs down a spiral staircase.
At the end of the day, Doug was still backing down stairs, clinging to handrails as he went.

In retrospect, today might have been a perfect day to peruse the local museums. At least we had nice weather.

4 comments:

Jed Carosaari said...

Do I get to see the pics of Mars Hill?

Live In Contrast said...

I loved the guided tour of Athens.

Incidentally, "Antiquity Under Construction" is my new favorite band.

Jeanine said...

I have to admit that during these few days off, I have participated in a marathon too... a marathon of watching "24" (which I borrowed from some unsuspecting neighbors who are on vacation) and I can happily say that today I reached the finish line!!! (and consequently my legs are a bit like jello, but probably because they just forgot how to work altogether!) Now I have a profound understanding of who Jack Bauer really is.

Jed Carosaari said...

Be sure to go online to watch the episode of the plane hijacking that doesn't come through on the DVDs- it's a doozy!