Monday, August 21, 2006

The Name Game – Amphibian-Style

What’s camouflaged and squishy and rhymes with “blogs”?

Yep, you guessed it:




FROGS!









The evening cacophony of croaking sometimes makes me wonder if the compound’s frog count is approaching plague-like levels. And these things are tricky to spot at night. As I walk back to my apartment after dark, the prospect of accidentally trampling frogs underfoot kind of creeps me out.

So, what should we name the frog pictured above? Submit your suggested frog name, and I’ll announce the winner in a future post. Multiple entries per person will be accepted, provided they’re not lame.

(Lame entries, however, may receive special attention in a future post.)

15 comments:

Jed Carosaari said...

Jiran. Jiran means neighbor; Jiiran means frog.

bazeblog said...

"Fun Guss".... because it looks like he's growing some on his back.

SP said...

Um...I'm scared to put anything in fear of receiving "special attention" later.

drh said...

No worries. I was hoping that this post would generate a record number of comments. I bet you can come up with a great name for our friendly frog.

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping for Mr. Luckey

Anonymous said...

I respectfully submit - Chris Gowing!

Jed Carosaari said...

Kiss it, see if something happens, and *then* name it.

SP said...

Hmmm...Ok then. How about Juliet? (What? It can't be a girl?) 'Cause I think I found her a Romeo.

(If it is a guy, and you can tell from the pic, then I really don't need to be teaching life science. Ha!)

Lauren said...

Theodore...He looks like a Theodore.

Jed Carosaari said...

Go ahead and check, David. The male has a thick swelling at the bottom of his thumb on the front limbs. They use it to hold on to the female. Hence the popular line among frogs, "Hey baby, you wanna come over and see my pad?"

Anonymous said...

I have to raise a point about the critter being named on your blog. As I recall, frogs are smooth, slick-skinned critters whereas toads, (which is what I think you have pictured) have dry, bumpy, warty skin. Hence you may be calling a toad a frog.

Never the less, if I were to choose a name for "him" it would be something like, "Bumplestiltskin", or "War-tee". Hopefully, he will not become known as "Bump".

Jed Carosaari said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toad

Only Family Bufonidae are true toads- the bumpy appearance isn't indicative. I had a pet in the classroom of the same species as David is asking about, and can affirm it's not Bufonidae- which is good news, since all Bufonidae have poison glands. Bad news- it means there is no nice side effects from eating/smoking them.

Anonymous said...

Prince Humperdink :)

tp said...

Most definitely Leroy.

Anonymous said...

Reepicheep