Thursday, May 08, 2008

Hearts and Minds

Apparently I ask my officemate what she’s eating at lunchtime each day. She usually starts eating her lunch in the office, approximately half an hour before I leave the office to eat lunch elsewhere. I smell her lunch from where I’m sitting. It makes me hungry. I ask what she’s eating.

This week, she’s been eating cow’s heart. Upon reflection, I recognize that hearts are mostly made of cardiac muscle. While I don’t typically eat cows’ cardiac muscles, I do typically eat their other muscles, so I suppose that eating heart muscle really isn’t all that strange. I also recognize that different cultures have different culinary preferences of animal parts.

My officemate proceeded to mention that her dish also contained anise. With my mind racing, I paused and asked her to clarify what she said. She was referring to an herbaceous plant.

I might have made a deal that I would eat cow’s heart, in return for being allowed to post this story. I’ll let you know how it turns out – if my officemate notices!

3 comments:

Live In Contrast said...

I'm just going to throw out a guess that this is one food that doesn't taste like chicken.

SP said...

Um, let me know how that goes.

Chris & Wendi said...

Being a former officemate of yours, I predict that she will eventually notice. And you will soon be eating cow's heart. Let us see if you like it better than crow!