Thursday, December 07, 2006

Switcheroo

I’ve traded assizes for angiosperms. Starting Monday, I’m a science teacher. This morning, I even woke up dreaming about angiosperms. That was indeed a new experience for me.

For the uninitiated, here are some yuletide angiosperms for your consideration:

  • Holly, with which you may deck your halls, is an angiosperm.
  • Mistletoe is a parasitic angiosperm.

Your Christmas tree, however, is most likely a gymnosperm.

My gophers are working around the clock to determine whether chestnuts are angiosperms or gymnosperms and also whether any of that changes when an open fire is involved.

Moreover, I am curious to see whether the gophers (part of genus Spermophilus) eat chestnuts and also what kinds of implications open fires have upon gophers’ tails.

I have so much to learn.

Fortunately, my English class will now be in the capable hands of the videographer who captured our rendition of a holiday jingle about a female ancestor’s mortal pummeling by a quadruped.

2 comments:

Jed Carosaari said...

I've always felt it said something significant, that our symbol for romantic love at Christmas time was a parasite...

So why the change to science? And what will you be teaching? Let me know if I can be of any help.

And what was this angiosperm dream about? It sounds fascinating.

SP said...

Mwahahahahaha...there's no turning back now! Maybe we'll both be looking forward to third period now!