Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Mars Hill

If you’re looking for the real Mars Hill, the GPS coordinates are: 37º58.339’N, 23º43.388’E. The Greeks refer to it as “Areopagus Hill”. I GPSed it and posted the results here, in hopes that future seekers of Mars Hill might have an easier time finding it than my friend and I did.

DRH GPSes Mars Hill.
PropylaiaYou can easily locate “Mars Hill” from the Acropolis. The site is the highly visible, rocky hill, just down from the Acropolis. I took pictures of it yesterday, while standing next to the Propylaia and Temple of Athena Nike, not even knowing what I was photographing. Later in the day, before my friend and I understood to look for “Areopagus”, we spent hours walking all around the area without finding “Mars Hill”. We had to go back today to find it.

Mars Hill from the AcropolisWith the temples in the Acropolis above and the Temple of Hephaestus in ancient city below Mars Hill, we saw, as Paul had seen, that the men of Athens were very religious.

Hephaestus from Mars HillThe area below Mars Hill is the Ancient Agora – the marketplace where Paul would have reasoned with the Greeks.

View from Temple of Hephaestus

4 comments:

Jed Carosaari said...

Sigh. I can't believe it. Nike's even branded the Swoosh on ancient Greek ruins?!?

Thanks for the images of the read Mars Hill! Did you stand up and shout to the tourists about how we are God's offpsring?

I don't think I actually know what's brought you out to Greece?

Jeanine said...

Great Pictures! ...and just in time for my unit on Perspective. Can I borrow the second one?

Jed Carosaari said...

Weird blog convergence, eh?

drh said...

BC indeed.

Abdul Muhib: Marathon to Athens