Monday, May 28, 2012

Pierogi Justice

When you go to a baseball game and your team loses, yea, fails even to score until the ninth inning, you have to find something about which to cheer. So you cheer for scampering pierogies.

Pierogies at PNC Park

I decided to cheer for Oliver Onion, the purple pierogi, in the Great Pierogi Race. Unfortunately, whoever was in the Oliver suit ran as though he or she had recently eaten several pierogies. In other words, in this four-pierogi race, it was a bad day to have Oliver in your trifecta.

Final Stretch of Great Pierogi Race

Then scandal struck. With Oliver Onion and their green-behatted co-competitor, Jalapeño Hannah, left in the dust, Cheese Chester (yellow hat) and Sauerkraut Saul (red hat) surged ahead toward a photo finish. From my perch in the cheap seats behind the first base side of home plate, I snapped one photo of the finish line and determined that Cheese Chester won, quite literally, by a nose. Much to my chagrin, however, the public address announcer awarded the race to Sauerkraut Saul.

Pierogi Finish Line

A few innings later, the public address announcer made a special announcement, explaining that those in attendance were at the ballpark on a very momentous occasion: the day when they reversed the results of the Great Pierogi Race! After pierogi race officials reviewed the frame-by-frame photos of the finish line, they determined that Cheese Chester had indeed won. I left the ballpark saddened that my baseball team lost, but heartened that pierogi justice had prevailed.

In addition, I was pretty pleased that my single frame of the finish, which I captured from the cheap seats, correctly indicated the result of the race.

No comments: