Friday, August 13, 2010

Footprints in Lesotho

Sometime shortly after my arrival in Lesotho I noticed wet cement at the entrance to the house where I stayed. I also noticed a large footprint in the wet cement, and I subsequently took precautionary measures not to be like the inconsiderate soul who’d plodded through the drying sidewalk. On my last day in Lesotho, it came to my attention that I was that person. On a positive note, my new friends, who graciously hosted me, were amused by the incident and applauded me for leaving them a souvenir from my visit.

DRH FootprintIn other news, I nearly got arrested in Lesotho. One afternoon, we visited a grocery store to purchase foodstuffs that would feed orphans later in the day. While my friends were busy crossing off items on their shopping list, I slipped away and purchased a candy bar and a beverage. I exited the store, consumed the candy bar and took a swig or two of the beverage before I reentered the grocery store. A security woman greeted me at the entrance and led me to a secret passageway behind a door at a corner of the store. There I made friends with all of the store’s security personnel, showed them my receipt (referred to as a “slip” by the locals) and humbly accepted being scolded for not collecting a security sticker upon returning to their business establishment.

No comments: