Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Hyper Goats and Other Nonsense

A few days back, we traveled past a building plastered with signs that read, “Hyper Goats.” I was understandably amused and took a photo from our moving bus.

Hyper GoatsThis evening, we went to Checkers Hyper, a large grocery store within a shopping mall. Perhaps you’ll note, as I did, the “Hyper” commonality in the nomenclature of the place where they kept the goats, and the grocery store we visited this evening.

Checkers HyperTurns out, Checkers Hyper has no goats. The two places aren’t even related. I know, because I asked. I’m not sure why I thought I might encounter a petting zoo in the middle of a grocery store, but I had high hopes. The worker at the store sort of looked at me funny when I asked where he was keeping the goats, so I pulled out my camera and showed him the picture of the “Hyper Goats” sign. Not the same place. Hyper Goats apparently deals exclusively with goats, whereas Checkers Hyper carries only non-goat merchandise. I regret accusing Checkers Hyper of false advertising – didn’t seem to go over too well. Glad we got that all cleared up.

South Africa Mascot and DRHIn other news, I loaned out the monopod I brought to use with my camera. Tonight it apparently helped rescue a bat. I don’t know the rest of the story, but my heart is a little warmer, knowing that my monopod promoted the longevity of a flying rodent.

Finally, I made a photograph with a larger-than-life-sized South African soccer mascot. The mascot probably has a name, but I haven’t learned it yet.

UPDATE: Upon doing a little research, I discovered that the mascot’s name is Zakumi. Actually, the story behind the mascot is pretty cool, so click on his highlighted name in the previous sentence.

1 comment:

Live In Contrast said...

I have a picture of Zakumi in Hong Kong. I'll send it to you sometime.