Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Letters from Grandma

Letter from GrandmaOver the weekend, I received two letters from my grandmother. The letters came as a surprise, first because my grandmother passed away over half a decade ago, and second because she wrote them during my freshman year of college. So I received a couple of letters that my grandma wrote well over a decade ago, but never sent me.

When I was a freshman in college, I was in Northwestern University’s student section when the Wildcats blocked a late Michigan State field goal attempt and went on to win the football game. In the ensuing celebration, I jumped up and down and missed the step of the bleachers I had been standing on, then got back up and continued celebrating. The game was nationally televised. When I returned to my dorm room, my mom had already e-mailed me to ask, “Where was your jacket?”

Grandma wrote, “Your Mother said they saw you on T.V. at the ball game. You just never know when you are on camera, do you? Wish we had been watching that nite.”

There’s wisdom to be mined from those words.

Grandma, I can’t exactly write back now, but I’m glad we found your letters. You just never know, do you?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This has all the makings of a Lifetime television miniseries.