Friday, April 18, 2008

All Along the River Niger

I knew the Niger River had hippopotami, and time was wasting. As I set out toward the river, men offered to guide me to the large animals. I politely explained that I had no gifts and no money, but I would be happy for would-be guides to accompany me as friends. Suddenly, I had fewer friends, but this would change when I reached the village near the river.

EntourageI was the only white person in the village and the only person that village children were convinced had come to bring them gifts. I maintained that I had no gifts, but my entourage grew as I walked. I quickly had at least half a dozen followers accompanying me to the far-away place where the hippos were. When we reached a group of boys playing soccer, my pied piper status skyrocketed. Children and teenagers learned that I still had no gifts, and I received new information about the possible whereabouts of hippos. New followers were sure that I could find hippos in the direction opposite to where we were walking, and they insisted that I walk down to the river.

Boat DriverI reached the river and encountered a man in a wooden, canoe-like floating object. He wanted me to join him in the boat. I explained that I had no gifts and no money. He got out of the boat. A few minutes later, he dragged one end of the boat to shore and helped me into it. A boy – his son, I gathered – joined us, and we (and by “we” I mean “he, the dad”) began paddling toward the direction from which I had walked.

I found myself sitting in a boat on the Niger River, armed with my camera and little else. It immediately occurred to me that I had no life vest and that my camera could get wet. It later occurred to me that the same hippos I was trying to locate in the river were much more powerful than the canoe-like floating object in which I was sitting.

Fortunately, two things happened: I came close enough to a hippo to take pictures of it, and the boat’s operator safely steered clear of the hippo. We never learned whether or not the hippo was hungry, hungry.

The Distant Hippo
Village ChildrenAfter a restful boat ride, we reached the shore. Before the entourage could join us again, I gave my pen to the boy in the boat. I figured that, after pointing out the hippo for me, he had probably earned it.
Niger River Sunset

1 comment:

Jed Carosaari said...

Wow! What a dangerous adventure! I'm glad you're okay!