Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Science, Tests and PB+J

Entering the school week, I expected to review for the science test on Monday and give the test on Tuesday. The earthquake and ensuing evacuation drill shook up my lesson plans, so I instead had to give the test on Wednesday, which was Valentine’s Day.

My students, of course, cried foul: We couldn’t have a science test on Valentine’s Day! But I insisted that we must have our test on Valentine’s Day, because my students love science. It’s difficult to argue with that kind of logic.

Among the test items were three kinds of muscles: skeletal, smooth and cardiac. On the “completion” section of the test I provided a word bank, which included all of the correct answers for the section, plus some extraneous answers – just to throw my students off.

Oftentimes, I include the opposite of the correct answer as a choice in the word bank. Six students selected “crunchy” as the best answer for one of the questions. One student even selected “crunchy” instead of “smooth”. That’s just nutty.

Perhaps the earthquake turned my students’ brains into jelly.

5 comments:

Jed Carosaari said...

Amazing. A holiday that's not even celebrated by the majority of those in the country, and they want to use it as a "day off". 'Id al Kabir, or Green March Day, I'd understand. Any excuse they can find...Don't let them know your birthdate!

Jeanine said...

Again you have proved that you are the king of word play! LOL

Your Honor.... Here is your royal crown!


.....D.......D.......D.........
....R P.....R.P.....R.P........
...O...L...O...L...O...L.......
..W.....AYW.....AYW.....AY.....
..WORDPLAYWORDPLAYWORDPLAY.....
..WORDPLAYWORDPLAYWORDPLAY.....

Jeanine said...

OK, for the record, the crown looked really cool before I sent it...I have a witness.... I think maybe someone sat on it...

SP said...

I could probably make six correct guesses as to who the students were...

ST said...

with all the 'creamy' 'crunchy' and 'jelly' talk,i'm surprised you didn't include the peter pan and great value PB scare.