Monday, January 29, 2007

Croquez le Mythe!

I did it for the medal.

The 2007 race begins!Last year, I ran the 2006 edition of a half-marathon and received the 2005 finisher’s medal. This year, I figured that whether I received the 2007 medal for running the 2007 race, or whether I received the 2006 medal for running the 2007 race, I would be receiving a medal for a race I had run. Never mind that the last time I had run thirteen miles was eight months earlier.

These Golden Arches struggled at the starting line.

My rigorous training regimen included a ten-mile run two weeks before the race, plus three stops at McDonald’s and a stop at Pizza Hut the week of the race.

Race Week McFlurries: 2,
Race Week Mileage: 0.

Would you like a half-marathon (21.1km) with that?

The McDonald’s in my neighborhood has a tasty chicken sandwich, which they call the “Chicken Mythic”. The publicity for the sandwich has French words that mean “crunch the legend”. Or something like that. I did a little legend-crunching during my late lunch the day before the race, just after I registered to run.

The legendary sidekick, performing his race-time duty.




McDonalds’ current tray-liner, which also advertises the “Chicken Mythic”, shows a picture of a cowboy among the other legendary figures. In preparation for the race, I frequently thought of myself as a cowboy. Of course, every truly legendary figure needs a trusty sidekick. In my case, this was the Official Pants Holder. During his off-duty hours, we call him Scot. (Note: The sidekick’s off-duty name is spelled with only one ‘t’.)

The 2007 medal: legendary.My time in the 2007 half-marathon was three seconds slower than my 2006 time. However, they placed a 2007 medal around my neck.

If you have not seen the 2007 Half-Marathon Commemorative Video, produced by the Official Pants Holder, you must click here immediately and view it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice race! The coverage was great too! Scot has set the standard for "Official Pants Holder" with a job well done, and great video to help us understand the drama and success of this great adventure. Now if we could only solve the mystery of the missing 2006 medal...

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Dave! Congrats!

I'm still not sure about Geneva (unfortunately, it's looking less and less likely as the date draws nearer). I'll keep you posted.