Saturday, October 03, 2009

Time Travel and Colorful Prehistoric Creatures

I spent the morning and the evening with youngsters who have special needs. A few weeks back, I began making weekly visits to a middle school. On my first day, one of the students asked me, “Are you a new student?” He knows otherwise, but he has a sense of humor. Ever since that day, he has walked up to me and said, “Hello, new student!”

In the evening, I hung out with an elementary student, who began telling me an imaginative story. I listened carefully but was unprepared for the quiz that followed. He retold the story several times, asked me to fill in the blanks and held my feet to the fire until I mastered the details in chronological order. Finally, I broke down and transcribed the story, which he gladly continued to retell. It involved time travel via a sewage system and colorful prehistoric creatures. Unusual smells made cameo appearances, as well. Enjoy!

Once upon a time, I met Doctor Quakenbarker in the Big City. Then I had to go to the bathroom, so I peed. When the toilet flushed, it took me way back in time. Then I went face-to-face with the saber-toothed tiger. Then I saw a blue-haired caveman, who told me to fly on the pterodactyl, so I did. The ride smelled like a cheese sandwich. I flew over the ocean, the grass and the field. Then the blue-haired caveman placed a lei around my neck. The lei smelled like a rat’s neck. Then I went sniff-to-sniff with a green triceratops and nose-to-nose with a purple hadrosaur. [Editor’s Note: He thought the “sniff-to-sniff” part was pretty hilarious.] Then I met the two-headed tyrannosaurus rex. So I flushed down the toilet all the way into the present. It looked like it was bedtime, so I went to bed.

The End.

No comments: