Monday, October 16, 2006

Undercurrents

Every once in a while life comes to a boil, leaving a person to wonder what had been simmering just beneath the surface all along.

Rarely does a day reveal as much submerged angst and buffoonery as did this past Saturday, when some friends and I journeyed to the capital of our North African country to extend a friend’s birthday celebration.

The beginning of the story can be found by clicking here. To her account, I would only add that I had wanted to hand back the gourd-like object that was hurled at us and tell the youngster that he had missed us. None of my companions thought that this was a good idea. I thought it might have been an interesting way of diffusing the situation if I could just sort of hand back (not throw or do anything whatsoever to escalate the situation) the fruit and show him that he was more important to us than his apparent nefarious intentions.

Let’s change gears for a moment. Shortly after I finished defending my friends’ honor from the man’s misogynistic remarks, we sauntered down the lane and encountered something that reminded me of when I was studying psychology at Northwestern University. My alma mater’s most noteworthy school color is purple, which is exactly what you would get if you mixed the written color with the actual color pictured to the right. Psychological tests have been performed on people with these sorts of signs.

We missed the train we intended to take back to our city. Because it was Ramadan, people were eating breakfast at around 6:15pm, when the train we actually ended up taking departed for our hometown. The ticket counters were closed. No one on the train ever asked for tickets. I was willing to pay for my ride, but no one ever availed himself to take my money.







The next part of the day was pleasant and tranquil. One of my friends cooked an amazing Thai dinner in honor of another friend’s thirtieth birthday. Thai food hasn’t tasted so good since back when I was chasing monks on motorcycles.

Perhaps the most baffling event of the day came as we were returning home from the last birthday celebration.

We saw some things a person doesn’t typically expect to see in North Africa...or during Ramadan...or any more than necessary, really. I think they were advertising the opening of a furniture store or an apartment.

We drove by, took pictures, rolled up our windows and headed home.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good on ya, defending their honor. Glad you're over there.

SP said...

Hmmmm..."submerged angst" and "simmering just beneath the surface" -- are you trying to tell me something?

drh said...

Typically, I would deflect this comment with a wisecrack. This time, however, I want to be serious.

No, I did not specifically have you in mind when I composed the lines you referenced. I hadn’t even thought about it until you mentioned it, but perhaps something I write here may resonate with you:

I do think that many of us, during this time of year, get heightened exposure to raw emotions in North Africa – and I’m referring to those who aren’t fasting, as well as to those who are.

Sometimes it takes the form of run-by-gourdings, inflammatory comments or the rash of purse-snatchings that have happened lately. It leads to an “us versus them” mentality. I find myself taking extra caution not to lash out either at “us” or at “them” through an anger-motivated response.

Times like these reveal the hearts of each of us.

Bella Sera said...

wow that was good!! Shannon where did you find this guy, he sounds a lot like you in words. Glad you defended the girls. It's nice to know that some guys are not ashamed to do so!! Loved the extended part of Shannon's story!

Bella Sera said...

Wow that was really good!! Shannon where did you find this guy? He sounds a lot like you in his writing style..that's a compliment. Thanks for defending the girls. It's nice to know that there are guys who will (and still do) do that. Very Encouraging. Stick with Shannon, you'll have lots of fun adventures!!

drh said...

Thanks for your kind words.

Jeanine said...

speaking of words.... it was "misogynistic"... and their ain't no dikshunary links for us poor uhlitterates neither!

drh said...

Prego! Click here.