Thursday, September 14, 2006

Rained In

I roused myself out of bed five minutes early this morning, before my electronic rooster uttered a sound. Speeding through my morning routine, I anticipated heading outside, reaching the earthen track around our gutted soccer field, and getting my morning run out of the way soon enough to have a little extra post-exercise time for myself before heading to the office.


As I opened my bedroom door into our living room and kitchen area, I heard the sound of running water. For a few moments, I wondered which of my roommates was doing dishes in the dark. Then I realized the sound was coming through our patio’s screen door: It was raining.



Our soccer field and track are under construction. Hand-dug drainage trenches, waiting to be filled with pipes, lie exposed on the soccer field. The track, waiting to be surfaced, serves as a moat to protect these trenches during the rare occasions when it rains.

2 comments:

SP said...

You should have been in my weather and climate class. We had predicted rain because of the drop in barometric pressure.

Jed Carosaari said...

Interesting. Last night was the first time it really rained this summer here as well- just downpouring so you wouldn't even want to dance in it.