Monday, July 17, 2006

Marching through Zion

The park ranger looked ticked. Dad said he probably wasn’t too happy about the hummingbird stuck in the front grill of our motor home. He let us through the tunnel to Zion National Park anyway.






In the month of July, Zion National Park averages 0.8 inches (2.0 centimeters) of rain, but 14 thunderstorms. That works out to 0.06 inches (0.15 centimeters) of rain per thunderstorm, which explains why I didn’t get very wet when a storm blew in on the East Rim Trail.




“I’m in Utah, and I just saw a mule deer!” That’s what I reported to a friend who called me from Missouri, shortly after a mule deer wandered through our Zion National Park campground. I love the long, floppy ears.




The management made a point to warn us about slipping off the trails, but said nothing about the effects of falling into a river.

1 comment:

Jed Carosaari said...

Wow! So rare to run into one of those rare cross-breeds, between a mule and a deer! Who would have thought at one point that their genetic codes were similar enough to allow for that?