Sunday, June 18, 2006

Father’s Day Non Sequiturs

This morning I attended a church that I formerly attended regularly. This morning was Father’s Day. This morning included two unusual church experiences.

The first involved baked goods. Baked goods during a church service do not bother me. Given my druthers, food would be a more regular part of worship gatherings. What made these baked goods a bit difficult to swallow – initially, at least – was their design: human index fingers. These digit-shaped pastries, complete with triangle-shaped icing for fingernails, signaled “One Way” – a symbolic gesture handed down from the Jesus People, circa the 1960s. Children were invited to pick up a finger to give their fathers. Soon all men (fathers or not) were invited to come up front and select a finger. I found it a touching way to honor men.

The second involved a poster. It depicted a man cuddling a toddler and might have been adorable, had the man in the picture been wearing a shirt. As it were, the only visible clothing was around the tot’s head. I live in a country where many men and women cover their heads, in addition to being otherwise fully clothed. Whenever a quantity of skin is revealed, it tends to be a distraction. In any other context it might not have generated a second thought. The poster was meant, I think, to underscore the importance of fathers in the lives of their children.

My dad once said: “I come from Alabama with a banjo on my knee, and I’m going to Louisiana for a banjo-ectomy.”

Happy Father’s Day!

1 comment:

Jed Carosaari said...

Oh my word- you know what David? I didn't even give it a second thought that you don't regularly come there! I'm sorry! I thought it was so natural that you were there.

Come, come. Your famous humor could be more fully exposed in this last post, don't you think?
:-)

Funny you should reference that link. Go into it and look for the strings "Palosaari" and "Servant".